Friday, November 19, 2010

Barefooting Update

My barefoot running is still progressing. Even as the temperatures are dropping with the leaves, my feet have so far kept themselves warm. I've kept my runs between 2-4 miles no more than every other day. I've got a Turkey Trot coming up on Thanksgiving and the low temp for that day is the mid-30s. We'll see how that goes. I may be carrying some socks with me.

Health-wise, this is the ideal time for me to start slowly and build up my feet to the task. Last year, my doctor laid it all out for me: my blood sugar was too low, my adrenals and cortisol were shot. He concluded with, "You must feel like crap." Turns out he was right. So my diet is now free of all grains, gluten, and sugar (except fruit) along with increased animal proteins and fat (basically a paleo diet). I feel radically better.

In retrospect, I think my low blood sugar, carb-loading, and long distance running was a perfect recipe for making life miserable for me. So I'm taking a while to let my body adjust to burning fat for fuel instead of sugar. My abbreviated running is perfect for taking up barefooting. My strength training has gone from non-existent to every four days.

13 comments:

Hair Transplant Peshawar said...

Elixir is a world-renowned Hair Transplant surgery center specializing in the complete restoration of natural growing hair to previously bald or thinning areas in Pakistan.

Matty B. said...

Very interesting. I was diagnosed a couple months ago with hypothyroidism and have had trouble fighting off the symptoms.

My cortisol recently was very high, though that and my TCH were the only two things seemingly out of wack.

What does eliminating grains, gluten, and sugar (except fruit)do for you? I'm a vegetarian, so the increased animal fats and proteins is a no no.

Saucony Running Shoes said...

Great update! It's good to hear from you that your barefoot running is progressive. I'm really impress on your experience.

Amalfi Girl said...

My husband and I have become very interested in the barefoot running. Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you!!

XO,
Amalfi
http://runningcrazyafter3.blogspot.com/

Amalfi Girl said...

Oops! I meant to leave a link to MY blog, not the blog I was reading before yours :)!!

http://eatrunhavefun.blogspot.com/

Feel free to come by. I can use all the veteran runner's tips I can get!

John McNally said...

Some members in my club are taking up barefoot running, so I will be tracking your progress to see how you get on.

John

Linda said...

I've been reading so much about barefoot running lately. I think I'm going to try it. I've always been nervous in the past, but your blog has inspired me!

Matt said...

Big fan of barefoot and vibram running. I am up to 55 miles in vibrams and love going barefoot on Maui when I can. Keep it up!

Danny said...

I've read alot about the natural barefoot running and apparently the current running shoes forces us to run with our heels hitting the ground first as opposed to front foot strike if you were barefoot. So yeah i am pretty excited to see how it goes.

seioppv said...

Why waste your energy by making a mall trip get a pair of barefoot shoes? Buy it online and you can snag that pair of shoes you want with just a few mouse clicks.Michel Gerard is a freelance writer living in Asia. His expertise is wide and varied in a number of topics. Visit the Pink Lady Shoes site for ideas and tips on the latest fashion shoes

Nick said...

It is interesting and great to see the movement toward minimalist running. I have always felt from a very young age that today's modern running shoe is way too built up. If you watch kids run, they will almost always land on their forefoot. It is only until people get used used to walking/running in bulky shoes that an unnatural heel strike landing develops.

That said, one needs to gradually transition to a more minimal approach to reap the benefits. If they don't, there is a high risk for injury.

youdeals.us said...

Losing 1 pound a week also uphill task for the people who have less will power.The desire should be burning.Never crave things that come as hurdles on your path to the goal.Let us put a stiff target to become lighter by some ideal percentage of our weight by this new year and let us start today.Nice blog here to help us in our dream come true.

Jenny said...

Nice stuff! Keep up the work on posts like this....enjoyed it.