Well, I did it again. I broke the laws of nature as they apply to me. I saw the poison ivy when I was clearing the vegetation off the fence and I wasn't bashful about touching it. I went for a run BEFORE I took a shower. Man, was that a mistake. Date of contact: Sunday. Yesterday, I started scratching at what I thought was a mosquito bite. When I noticed it was poison ivy, I brushed it off thinking it was contained ... no big deal. Today, I felt my right eye swelling, then I started to panic. The last time I had poison ivy in a bad way was when I accidentally blew my nose with it before a high school soccer match. When both my eyes swelled shut, "blinking" became a whole facial movement. So I packed up my computer, bolted from work, and went straight to the doctor. The doctor was much more somber than I. Without blinking, he prescribed prednisone and Alavert. I greedily took both and am, well, a little better. My eyes are open, but the right eye is still a little swollen. The rest of my body itches fiercely and the lack of air conditioning makes it all much, much better. My wife is laughing at me as I type this.
Life is good.
For those folks who don't understand what that evil plant does to less evolved people like me, check out this woman. That could be me tomorrow morning. For more inspiring photos, I highly recommend The Grody Poison Ivy Skin Rash Hall of Fame Slideshow.